retrieving OS X icons?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 5 15:48:01 EDT 2003

J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> Is there a way to extract image datafrom OS X icon files in a way that's
>> displayable in MC?
>>

> Do you mean, read the icons via a script on the fly? Or do you mean just
> extract the icons once during development for use in a stack? The second
> is pretty easy to do with the various icon tools available.

Unfortunately I'm looking for the former.

I tried  finding the file format for OS X icons at Apple's Dev site, hoping
to find a way to parse out the image data.  Silly me: I've rarely had
success finding stuff at Apple's Dev site, and this proved no exception.

If anyone has managed to stumble across Apple's definition of their icon
file format for OS X I'd be much obliged.  In the meantime it's back to
generic icons...