Shell Scripts and HTMLDOC

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Sun May 4 23:27:01 EDT 2003

Pierre,

Interesting you mention HTMLDOC...I'm in the middle of adding it's feature
set to Hemingway. I'll also build a standalone app which I'll distribute for
free. It's pretty much exactly like the GUI Windows version of HTMLDOC, but
it should be able to run on OSX and Linux as well (anyone out there like to
help me convert it to OSX???)

btw -- a couple of functions I've found handy when doing shell scripts...

function fixSpacesInPath pPath
  --this function puts quotes around folders with spaces in them
  --note should already be in the form of "C:/one thing/two thing"
  set itemDel to "\"
  put empty into tReturnPath
  repeat for each item i in pPath
    put i into tVar
    if tVar contains space then
      put quote & tVar & quote into tVar
    end if
    put tVar & "\" after tReturnPath
  end repeat
  delete last char of tReturnPath
  return tReturnPath
end fixSpacesInPath

function GetShortPathName pPath
  --this one converts the path to the 8.3 format
  --note should already be in the form of "C:/one thing/two thing"
  set itemDel to "/"
  put empty into tReturnPath
  repeat for each item i in pPath
    put i into tVar
    if tVar contains space or the length of tVar > 8 then
      replace space with emtpy in tVar
      put char 1 to min(the length of tVar,6) of tVar into tVar
      put "~1" after tVar
    end if
    put tVar & "\" after tReturnPath
  end repeat