Web programming progress report

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Fri May 2 22:19:01 EDT 2003

> > In my un-trained ignorance of many of the details of the client-server
> > environment what I think I really want is to develop an application in
> > Metacard, upload my application to a server, and have people run my
> > application "within a standard browser" just like my artists who use
> > Macromedia's Flash for animations are doing.
>
> That, you cannot do, there is no MC plugin for browsers. What you
> can do is
> MC cgis construct html pages on-the-fly depending on user request so you
> are limited to what html can deliver in terms of UI.

I think this poses an interesting question: Would it be possible to generate
DHTML on the fly using an MC CGI to translate stack?

It's obviously going to be slower but when you think about it it seems
reasonable to do the following:
 - generate a web page that is as close as you can get to the original
 - buttons could be forms with hidden fields representing the button clicked
 - mouseUp could then be sent to the actual stack on the server by an MC CGI
 - the MC CGI then re-translates the stack therefore showing the results of
the mouseUp

Obviously there are a heaps a messages that couldn't be handled in this way
so there would need to be limitations on the stack design.

Cheers

Monte