Web programming tools

andu undo at cloud9.net
Thu May 1 23:49:01 EDT 2003

The secret for such a product to be successful, if a simple mechanism
deserves a fancy name, is to look at what exactly it does: receives data,
it processes and stores it; and upon request it retrieves stored data, does
some processing if necessary and presents it to the user. I've seen all
kinds of fancy definitions and combinations of languages, intermediary
products and mostly noise about what I described above, either free and
with a cult like following or extremely expensive with a corporate flavor.
Recently I read a full page ("white paper") in small type describing a
revolutionary new product, a calendar, which if I remember correctly has
been in use for several thousand years.
Bottom line is that all that is needed is a database, a processing and
transport engine an a presentation tool. If the amount of data is not large
and a browser is not demanded, metacard could do all 3 of them, otherwise a
database and a web server need to be added. My general principle is to use
as few components as possible to minimize the breaking points.
Languages like PHP have the great advantage of being able to talk to
several databases, work as Apache modules and be free, the great
disadvantage is that you have to learn them, most of us didn't even finish
with metatalk.

Regards, Andu Novac