Web programming tools

Mark Lacy mlacy at lpsoftware.com
Thu May 1 12:19:01 EDT 2003

List members,

What web programming tool or tools would you recommend for developing
applications when delivery in a standard web browser is required?

I am looking for some strong and informed opinions. For over ten years now,
as a self taught programmer, I have developed computer based instruction
using such tools as Hypercard, Toolbook, and now for almost 5 years
Metacard, which is my favorite.

What I like about these tools is that they allow you to visually layout
your interface, write programming code to respond to user events, and have
powerful flexible languages with an english-like syntax. Using these tools
I have created whatever kind of computer based instruction I have wanted
without having to rely on the pre-built and restrictive templates and
widgets that many vendors try to provide to "non-programmers" like myself.

What web tool or tools do you think come the closest to offering at least
some of the above features?

My clients are expecting and demanding "e-Learning" (the newest fad term)
applications that run inside the browser. I have frequently tried to sell
my clients on using Metacard for developing net-centric solutions for both
sound instructional and technological reasons but they point to a
competitors training course running inside a standard browser and say,
"That's what we want."

So, now I need to add to my skills some new tools and knowing that many of
you on this list are highly training and experienced computer programmers
and assuming that many of you face or have faced these same client demands
I look forward to your best ideas and suggestions.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Lacy
LetterPress Software, Inc.