Network versions of applications

Mark Talluto lists at canelasoftware.com
Fri Mar 21 19:48:00 EST 2003

On Friday, March 21, 2003, at 05:41 AM, Pierre Sahores wrote:

> Mark Talluto a écrit :
>>
>> Hello fellow list members.  I have been asked to make one of my
>> application network ready.  What they want is for my app to sit on the
>> server and allow clients to run the app from their workstations
>> without
>> installation on the workstations.  I was wondering if any one had any
>> suggestions about how they have implemented this.
>

> Hello Mark,
>
> "This should be pretty simple".
>
> It's not what i would say... Metacard/Revolution can let you build very
> elegant web/vpn-enabled client-server solutions : MC is one of the most
> usefull development tools, and, perhaps the best, you can find to build
> all kind of net apps you
> can think and design. On the other hand, it no ways to become a web
> apps
> developper than works and works again. Because, in the internet apps,
> there is only two states availables for the end-users (aka the client
> who give us money to get a new production app installed on his server)
> :
> the server is up or down, there is lots of knoweage to
> learn before beeing able to build great productions apps for the
> web and vpn real world.

...snip

>> I know that the servers will be Windows NT or 2000 servers.  All the
>> clients will be Win 95 - 2000.  The data files created will need to be
>> saved on the server as well.  This should be pretty simple.
>

> It's, perhaps, not the best choice to run those kind of apps under
> Win32, but it can be done (i did it, previously, by installing apps,
> first developped under and for linux, on the WinNT4 SP5 platform). If
> you have to choose a Win32 enabled RDBMS to act as your backend
> database, prefer MSSQL or, best, the ACID complient PostgreSQL (newly
> available under windows) than MySQL, witch is only a realy unserious
> toy
> in concurrent writes mode.
>

>> Thanks for any input.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Mark Talluto
>> http://www.canelasoftware.com
>>

> Have fun and good luck in discovering all of that.
>
> Kind Regards, Pierre

Thanks Pierre for the help.  My situation was to run an MC app that was
installed on a server of a LAN.  Turns out that all you have to do is
install the software on the server and have shortcuts run it from the
clients.  I was not using any database or middleware to get this to go.
  My app handles all data.

Running an app over the net as you explained using database
connectivity looks a bit more complicated but quite interesting.  While
I do not have a need for that right now, you never know what is waiting
for you down the road.