Network versions of applications

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Mar 21 08:46:09 EST 2003

Mark Talluto a écrit :

> Hello fellow list members.  I have been asked to make one of my
> application network ready.  What they want is for my app to sit on the
> server and allow clients to run the app from their workstations without
> installation on the workstations.  I was wondering if any one had any
> suggestions about how they have implemented this.

Hello Mark,

"This should be pretty simple".

It's not what i would say... Metacard/Revolution can let you build very
elegant web/vpn-enabled client-server solutions : MC is one of the most
usefull development tools, and, perhaps the best, you can find to build
all kind of net apps you
can think and design. On the other hand, it no ways to become a web apps
developper than works and works again. Because, in the internet apps,
there is only two states availables for the end-users (aka the client
who give us money to get a new production app installed on his server) :
the server is up or down, there is lots of knoweage to
learn before beeing able to build great productions apps for the
web and vpn real world.

If real web applications servers (aka IBM Websphere, Macromedia
ColdFusion or
Apple WebObjects) and ACID RDBMS (aka Oracle, DB2, SAPDB or PostgreSQL)
are in
your previously knoweage, you will be incredible surprised by the
simplicity and elegance you can do all what you need in building from
scratch and using Metacard-based web/vpn applications servers, including
the RDBMS management and drive trought direct connections and SQL
requests in using the mc build-in shell commands to bind (instead of
ODBC or others middlewares) the databases
command-line databases front-end clients (works fine in production for
me in using
PostgreSQL and newly Oracle 8i backends).

In this case, you will see that Metacard lets you build in hours all
what needs weeks and months to get the same result in using Java, PHP or
cgi scripting tools alike perl or python (including ZOPE)
based solutions. If you can see, alike some of us, on this list, how
powerfull mc can be in this dev speciality, you wil for sure gohead with
"MC over the internet" :-)

The best to do is to find and learn all what has previously shared on
the metacard archive list by all the friends working hard on
thoses questions, alike Andu, Sadhu, Discoteck, Chipp and others.

After that (binding all the needed knoweage to your own projects), you
will just have to ask us about the details...

> I know that the servers will be Windows NT or 2000 servers.  All the
> clients will be Win 95 - 2000.  The data files created will need to be
> saved on the server as well.  This should be pretty simple.

It's, perhaps, not the best choice to run those kind of apps under
Win32, but it can be done (i did it, previously, by installing apps,
first developped under and for linux, on the WinNT4 SP5 platform). If
you have to choose a Win32 enabled RDBMS to act as your backend
database, prefer MSSQL or, best, the ACID complient PostgreSQL (newly
available under windows) than MySQL, witch is only a realy unserious toy
in concurrent writes mode.