Windows icon SOLVED: congrats :-)

Klaus Major k_major at os.surf2000.de
Fri Mar 21 05:01:01 EST 2003

Hi Scott,

>> Please be aware that these 16 colors have to be specific colors!
>> (Not just 16 different colors, that would be too easy...)
>>
>> They are the first 16 entries in the win system palette...
>>
>> Unfortunately these are the most ugly colors of that palette ;-)
>
> Actually, that's not entirely true:
>
> You can create icons of any custom 16 colors and have them display
> properly
> if the monitor is set to display greater than 256 colors.  If the
> monitor is
> set to display 256 colors or less, the colors of the icon will get
> remapped
> to the closest matching colors in the minimal Windows palette.

Oh, sorry for my misinformation.

I could have sworn... (Good i didn't.)

In this case i will now have to convince my 2 icon editors to NOT
convert
my icons to that namely palette when saving them...?

IconStudio lets me import a 4 bit gif (that looks ok) and spits out an
ICO file
with exactly the (ugly) palette i was talking about...?

Same with my IconBuilder Pro Plug-in in Photoshop...?

Any hints?

(Of course i have 32 bit monitor settings ;-)

> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi

Regards

Klaus Major