Windows icon SOLVED

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 09:35:32 EST 2003

My fella wouldn't let me give up last night, and he on the Windows
computer and me on the Mac, spent hours trying to solve this.  He
found an icon Metacard liked, I opened it with GraphicConvertor, and
did nothing except change the colors.  There were 6 colors, and I
simply changed black to green and grey to red, etc.  Even that
failed.  The file size went from 766 bytes to 1022 bytes.

In a last ditch attempt, I remembered Chipp Walter's suggestion,
regarding the "Creating a custom icon for Windows" info at:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Tutorials.htm

I had read it, and followed every step, during the day long exercise
in frustration, but I had ignored the final step.

It was not enough to create a 32x32 pixel image.
It was not enough to limit it to 16 colors.

Where all the fancy programs failed to turn the image into an icon
Metacard would accept, the simple little program QTam did it.

The most important piece of the puzzle, was to use QTam to convert
the image to the Windows icon.  QTam does whatever internal voodoo is
necessary, to make the image be 766 bytes.

Where all the fancy schmancy programs failed... Adobe PhotoDeluxe,
GraphicConvertor, Iconographer, Axialis, and several other Mac and
Windows programs... where they couldn't do it, QTam could.

My kudos to the creator!  This software developer has definitely
earned a shareware fee from me!

Download QTam from:

http://shareit1.element5.com/programs.html?productid=134460&language=English

Shari C