Radical slowdown on one system

Mr X x at monsieurx.com
Mon Mar 17 04:17:00 EST 2003

I like free radical

Les misteres de l'informatique...
A french expression for those devious moments when the computation output
doesn't make sense given the inputs.

I've seen witchraft voodoo in all computer matters too (always take 3
diskette backups with you, No. 2 has gone bad before!) Even in so called
industry standard professional software design! You thought humans were
smarter than computers? Teach my mom or the Windows v*.* gui designers!...

the again, Im sure she'll find more bugs than any beta tester too (I know a
guy like that... and he's half cpu-literate than pro!) Go figure...

So, here's the most common causes for MAJOR slowdowns

No VRAM (or it's full!)
No RAM Left!
- Bad FAT/Disk info sectors/Directory Tree on Disk/etc... The norton
Utilities type (run scan disk on PCs, Disk First Aid on Macs).
- Bad sectors on your file (typical!)
- Defragmenter
- Fragmented disk
- Full disk or above 75% full with bad fragmentation
- Any Apple or Microsoft program searching a net address that doesn't exist
- Antivirus running at full scan priority with all heuristics turned on!
- a Virus? naaaa
- Corrupt file?
- Services running (screensavers, defragmenters, backups, net-shares,...)
- A program locked up because it's waiting for something (i.e. a "click to
continue" hidden MS-dialog)
Badly installed system or system that is rebooted improperly (with the
on/off button)
- Outdated Software on new hardware (win95 on a new P4/5?!!! Does he drive a
Fort T on the highway?) - could be it!
- Unauthorized access - user locked out, password expired?

Remember this one and only one rule:
IF the problem is not reproducibly or IF it runs on ANY virgin Win95 (or
what have you) OS it is NOT your problem. The problem is in his config or
hardware and that's not your responsibility is it?

AND W95 is no longer supported by MS so you shouldn't either.
You can only support the "running versions".

This said, it's preferable to hear the problem first, just in case! I've had
those too...

The problem is making your client understand it...
I've seen clients you wouldn't believe! Let me tell ya!

--

What's wrong with this user?
User: I got a problem...

;) - This user used to work for us!