Disk serial numbers

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 09:39:02 EST 2003

>This thread was originally about finding out if a particular cd was
>in the drive.
>
>Would MCIsendString do what you need? I know it will tell you if
>media is present. (which might be enough)
>
>Also, you could just see if a file which you know is on your CD is present
>
>Something like...
>
>if there is file "D:/my folder/whatever.txt" then --My cd is in there!
>
>Just some thoughts,
>tom mccarthy

Nope, originally the thread was about getting the serial number from
a CD in the drive.  I was unaware that there was even a possibility
that one could get the HD serial number on a Mac via Metacard without
an external.  I used to use an external for this in Hypercard.  But
would rather avoid them now, in anticipation that Mac will abandon
them.

The goal is:

1.  To determine whether a SPECIFIC cd is in the drive, and not a
copy of that CD

2.  To get the serial number of the actual hard drive, for programs
that will not be distributed on a CD

I use heavy duty antipiracy methods, which are a hassle for my users,
and this would actually simplify things, and allow registered users a
bit more freedom than they currently have.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--
http://www.gypsyware.com