Grouping with lists in a script

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Sun Mar 9 09:11:01 EST 2003

[snip}
> I had the understanding that the "list"-option of the group command was
> an option to automate the tedious process to concatenate manually  a
> huge number of crontols in the script editor.
>
> This is what the Metatalk Reference says:
>
> "Syntax: "group <c>"
>
> where "<c> stands for a list, explained by an if-statement:
>
> "If a list of controls  is supplied, those controls will be added to
> the new group."
>
> If "list" here would just mean the concatenated sequence of controls
> names or numbers in a script - explicitly written down one after the
> other -, this extra option would be meaningless.
>
> I tried to put the contatenated sequence of control names into a
> variable "fieldlist" by means of a repeat loop.
> Then, "group fieldlist" - both with an "and"-sequence as you suggested
> and a vertical order of controls as lines - only produced errors.
>
> The question remains, is there a special structure for the "list"-option
> or is the information of the MetaTalk Reference merely tautological,
> i.e. repeating in a fuzzy way what already had been stated?
>
> If the latter is the case then the sentence:
>
> "If a list of controls  is supplied, those controls will be added to
> the new group."
>
> would indeed be superfluous and misleading.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Wilhelm
========
I think the entry for this in the MetaTalk Reference needs to be updated to
clarify the very issue you raised. Intuitvely, when I encounter the term
"list", I think of a group of "items" that have a common delimiter, enabling
me to "buld" a list in a rather simple manner. My first go-'round with this
was to try to prepare a string comprising the list of controls, trying
different delimiters. Of course, that totally didn't work. I finally settled
on the concatenation method demonstrated in the docs. (But I still don't
like it.)
miscdas