Grouping with lists in a script

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Tue Mar 4 14:56:01 EST 2003

I needed to make a greater number of controls into a group by script.

MetaTalk Reference (182) provides this information:

"Syntax:

group <c>

The group comand makes a set of selected controls into a
group/background.
If a list of controls <c> is supplied, those controls will be added to
the new group."

I tried various forms of "lists" and put them into a variable
"fieldlist", but then

"group fieldlist" failed each time.

Two forms of lists I tried - generated in a repeat-loop - were

"fld 1
fld 2
fld 3
...."

and

"fld 1 and fld 2 and fld 3......".

What finally worked after some experimenting was using  the "do"
command, like in

 "put "group"&&the name of fld 1 into Fieldlist
  repeat with i = 2 to 100
    put Space&"and"&&the name of fld i after last word of Fieldlist
  end repeat
 do Fieldlist"

What am I missing in setting up the list structure for using the
information about grouping in the MetaTalk Reference?

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke