Limits on array dimensions

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 30 13:17:00 EDT 2003

Thanks.  I'm not a programmer, so please pardon my incorrect
terminology.  I find arrays to be invaluable, especially when creating
utilities that index large (300 MB and up) flat-file databases (what
I'm doing).  However, once the number of array elements exceeds about
150,000 (for example, to keep track of record ID's while indexing),
processing gets progressively slower and eventually stalls even if the
contents of the elements are small.  This does not appear to be a
memory constraint.  My fix is to dump critical array variables to a
file from time to time, delete the variable to free space, and recreate
the array with new observations.  The difference in speed is remarkable.

	Greg

	Gregory Lypny
	Associate Professor
	Concordia University