launching apps in background

slavko milekic smilekic at uarts.edu
Fri Jul 25 17:38:01 EDT 2003

Ken,

thank you for advice, but I still cannot make it work.  Here's my script
(following your advice I used variables):

on mouseUp
   global tFolder
   put quote & "c:\Program Files\ACDSee32" & quote into tFolder
   get shell("cd" && tFolder && "& start ACDSee32.exe")
end mouseUp

Once I got the error message "too many parameters - &"
Any ideas what I did wrong?
Thanks in advance,

Slavko Milekic

At 12:02 PM 7/25/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Slavo,
>
>You can't use a full path with shell() since it doesn't work on the
>command line either. You need to "cd" to the folder where the app is and
>then execute it using:
>
>   get shell("cd C:\volume\folder & start app.exe")
>
>If you have spaces in the path name or the app you'll have to quote them
>(be careful of the & that needs to be passed to shell), as in:
>
>   get shell("cd" && quote & "c:\program files\myapp" & quote && "& start
>myapp.exe")
>
>I like to use variables instead:
>
>   put quote & "c:\program files\myapp" & quote into tFolder
>   get shell("cd" && tFolder && "& start myapp.exe")
>
>Hope this helps,
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
>Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Slavko Milekic, M.D., Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. of Cognitive Science & Digital Design
Dept. of Art Education & Art Therapy
The University of the Arts
320 S. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19102
tel: 215-717-6052 // fax: 775-521-0930 // smilekic at uarts.edu
www.uarts.edu/faculty/smilekic