MC & OpenGL (update)

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Thu Jul 24 07:06:03 EDT 2003

Hi list,

Although I don't have much time to spend on this
project these days, I managed to build an external
for accessing openGL on Mac. Since it's Carbon
compatible, it should run on OS8.6 to OSX (haven't
tested it on OSX though).
As I already achieved something similar on Win32
a few months ago, some sort of cross-platform
compatibility already exists.

Nevertheless, I'm still puzzled about the way to
implement openGL in a MC context.
So far, I see 3 options :

1) implement all openGL functions in MetaTalk.
I see several flaws in this option :
- there are more than 130 functions, which might
end up in a HUGE external.
- accessing openGL would still remain complicated,
as programmers would still need to think & code
simultaneously in MT, C and openGL...
- execution of scripts would be quite slow due to
the multiple calls
- some programing tricks & tips in C + openGL
would be impossible to reproduce...

2) make a selection of a limited number of openGL
functions & options, and implement them in a
MetaTalk-compatible way. In that case, programmers
would still think & code in MT, and "translation" of
the code to openGL would be completely transparent.
Again several flaws :
- how to do the selection of openGL functions ?
- execution of scripts would be quite slow due to
the multiple calls
- some programing tricks & tips in C + openGL
would be impossible to reproduce...

3) keep doing what I've done in my experiments
so far : build a different external for each project
involving openGL. Each external features only
the C functions (and openGL calls) to be used
in each specific project.
This option has several advantages :
- the size of the external remains small
- many programing tips can be used
- scripts execution (and openGL calls) are done
at high speed.
OTOH the main drawback is that a specific
C development needs to be done for each project.
Of course, reusability of large portions of code
is possible, but still : more programing & debugging
are necessary...

Actually, if implementation of openGL in MC
is quite feasable, it's not as straightforward as QT
for instance...

I would gladly apreciate any suggestion / discussion
on this topic. According to previous reactions, I know
that several list members (especially those involved in
games and / or scientific apps) are highly interested in
that option.

Last but not least : there's a 4th option.
As the company I'm working for isn't doing very well
and as I might get laid off within the next few weeks,
I can sell my skills as programer to those interested in
developping projects including 3D imagery...
I know it sounds like an heresy to fans of open source
and those who think this list should remain a place to share
code, but I guess I'll still have some monthly bills to pay,
even after I get laid off...

Thanks,
JB