Long name of this stack

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Wed Jul 23 10:11:01 EDT 2003

At 8:04 AM -0700 7/23/03, Ray Horsley wrote:
>I'm just starting to use OSX on the Mac, and I've noticed "the long name of
>this stack" doesn't start with the name of the volume.  I've always used
>this to determine the name of the volume the stack is on.

Paths on the boot volume don't include the name of the volume. (The boot
volume - instead of the desktop - is the filesystem root in OS X, so
there's actually a reason for this.) If the file is on the boot volume, the
path will look something like:

  /Applications/Test Apps/mystack.mc

but if it's on a non-boot volume named, say, "Backup Disk", the path will
look like:

  /Volumes/Backup Disk/Applications/Test Apps/mystack.mc

So the path is unique even though it doesn't include the boot volume. If
you need the boot volume's name, it's the first one in "the drives".

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/