Moving the MC IDE forward

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 21 19:41:00 EDT 2003

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Maybe that is the way forward for those who will want to continue to upgrade
> to new engines etc, benefit from the additional libraries, but use their own
> or the "classic" MetaCard UI.  It might even be possible to formalise this
> in a future version of Rev - eg have preferences to switch off the Rev UI at
> startup, and to open some other UI at the same time.  (Actually the latter
> may hardly be needed; I have a little toolbar which supplements the Rev UI,
> which is implemented as a Rev "plugin", and set to open at startup and glue
> itself to the end of the Rev menubar.  When the Rev UI is suspended, my bit
> stays in place.)

I once considered writing a Rev plugin called GhostCard, which would emulate
the UI of the dead HyperCard:

When activated, the Rev IDE is suspended and replaced with a black-and-white
UI that emulates the Hypercard expoerience.  You could only work with one
image, only select one object at a time, no options for tab controls etc.

It would also have a Preferences stack with a User Level feature: values go
from 1 to 5 plus a special value for "Infinity".  If you set the User Level
to Infinity the Ghostcard UI goes away and Rev comes back.

;)