MySQL Support

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Mon Jul 21 07:51:03 EDT 2003

on 7/19/03 12:14 AM, Simon lord wrote

> Hi all, I need to write an app that will allow me to read/write data to
> MySQL.  I'd like to tinker with this on the weekend and I've seen it
> mentioned here a few times but was not in the market to use such a
> combination.
>
> That said, can some kind sole provide me with the following:
>
> 1) Information about what I need in order read/write to MySQL
> 2) A sample stack (I can change the MySQL table calls) just so get a
> frame of reference
>
> This would be much appreciated, I look forward to playing with it.

If it's not too off-list-topic - it must be worth mentioning that support
for this is "built in" to Revolution (that is, Rev is supplied with a
library which 'just works', and which you can then have built into your
standalones).   There's a straightforward set of routines which allow you to
connect to the database, make queries, execute SQL etc.

In Rev 2 there's also a point and click interface layered on top of this,
which doesn't do everything you want, but makes it straightforward to for
example with a few clicks add to a card a table field which is automatically
updated (eg each time the card is opened - configurable) with the columns
you select from a SQL query to a MySQL or various other databases.  (The
full list is that it supports MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL and Valentina
natively; plus many others via ODBC.)

AFAIK, you can do this is in the free edition - there are some extra
limitations (beyond the standard script-length one) about number of non-ODBC
databases you can have open unless you go for the full "Professional"
license.  I might be wrong about that - in fact I just took a look at the
runrev site, and I get the impression that they're just about to shake up
their license options. By the looks of it, the changes will be more
favourable if you just want MySQL.

Anyway, I'd definitely suggest it was worth a try with the free edition.
I'd be pretty sure it was the simplest way to achieve what you want: of
course you need to set the extra effort involved in other ways to achieve it
with vanilla MC against what it might cost to cross-grade to Rev.

Hope this helps,

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866