Controlling/comunicating w/ USB devices

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Jul 18 09:22:03 EDT 2003

on 7/17/03 4:41 PM, Dar Scott wrote
> If you are interested in opening a serial port on a usb device, I can
> tell you more.

Thanks Dar, I should probably have referred to this explicitly.  I know that
there's been lots of correspondence from people using Keyspan and similar
devices to provide a serial port on a machine with only USB; but I think
that these devices come with software that makes the 'shim' so that
applications (including MetaCard) see a conventional serial port, and never
have to deal with it as a USB device.

In terms of explicitly talking to a USB device, everyone who asks is told to
use the "open driver" command; but followup questions about what to pass to
it - ie the driverName - appear to have gone unanswered.  People seem to
have tried the name appearing in Apple System Profiler, and the name of the
driver in the extensions folder, without success.

Has anyone managed this - and if so what's their recipe?

TIA,

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866