Why maintain Metacard

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 11 15:12:00 EDT 2003

On 7/11/03 1:07 PM, Richard MacLemale wrote:

> But if the improvements in the engine, at that time, are going to also
> impact a free, open source version of MetaCard, then... Well then, couldn't
> you just use Open Source MetaCard and save the money?  The biggest
> difference between Open Source MetaCard and Revolution will be the extra
> add-ons that Rev gives and the price tag.  For most users, the extra
> add-ons, help, support, and documentation would be worth the money.  But
> Open Source MetaCard could end up developing quite a following, too,
> couldn't it?  Some open source projects have gone on to become very
> successful...
>
> Am I reading this situation correctly?

With one important distinction: without a registration code, you are
restricted to a 10-line script limit. The open-source IDE will have to
allow for users to register a paid version of the engine to break the
script limitation. So while the engine is free, and the MC IDE will be
open-source, use of the free IDE will be limited without a registration
number.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com