Why maintain Metacard

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 11 14:24:00 EDT 2003

Richard MacLemale wrote:

> So, hypothetically speaking, say I've got a friend who is interested in
> MetaCard but never wanted to put out a grand to buy it.  The engine has
> always been a free thing.  Now the GUI is open sourced, and free.  Does this
> mean that MetaCard 2.5 is now free?

The GUI has always been free, as has Rev's.  You can download the Starter
Kit and play around within the script limits to you heart's content with no
money down.

Only the MC IDE is moving to open source maintenance; the engine, of course,
remains proprietary.

It seems perhaps the most hard-to-understand thing about the announcement is
how _little_ actually changes for us developers:  you still have your choice
of IDEs, both are still available in free versions with script limits, just
as it's been for years.