CD update...

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 11 13:55:00 EDT 2003

>Shari:
>
>Not sure if you're already aware of this but just in case...  If you try to
>ZIP a set of Mac files on a Mac and some of these files contain Mac resource
>forks, you'll likely wind up with a corrupted ZIP that either will not open,
>or will result in corrupted (unopenable) files when unZIPed.  Saving files
>from Photoshop with thumbnails enabled, for example, is one way to induce
>this problem since the thumbnails are stored in the resource fork of the
>file.  Sometimes, even creating PDFs on Mac systems can cause this problem
>(and PDFs are supposed to be cross platform).  This may be what you've
>experienced since you're obviously very Mac oriented.
>
>One way around this problem is to copy all your files to a Windows box,
>remove the separated resource fork data files (you'll see a bunch of files
>appear called .#res if I recall) and ZIP the the files there.
>Alternatively, I have a small utility that effectively strips the resource
>forks by copying the Mac files into binary files.  This is not a polished
>stack but you're welcome to it  (it will convert single files and folders of
>files, but it will not recursively go through nested subfolders).  Plus it
>saves a backup original of every converted file just in case (though to date
>I've had no problems).
>
>Lemme know...
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi
>Creative Director

Ahhhh.... I did not know this!  Enlightenment!  I do create one set
of files in MC, cross platform, and of course there is a resource
fork.  It doesn't matter that Windows doesn't need the fork, as the
code works around it for Windows.

Could I not simply delete the items in the resource fork with ResEdit
before zipping?

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--