Getting the system profile

MisterX x at monsieurx.com
Fri Jul 11 11:41:01 EDT 2003

Dear Shari,

I gave you a win version script that can make it work noprob...

As far as I see it

- MCI is not for all windoz (I couldn't get it running on a W2K TS
  which had it installed.)
  - I tried all day!!! Frag that idea - it's NOT intuitive at all
    and it's a lot of reading compared to a shell.
- WSH may not be installed on all pcs - could be tried though...
- Sysinternals must be programmed with VC++
- Externals: well apparently don't work either
This leaves shell()
- Shells work for all WinOS' and are invisible to the user, have all
the info you want.

I can't give you much more... You can pick up both the drive letter,
disk name and serial number. It's also easy to script. Nonetheless,
I must maintain that these schemes are dangerous for your reputation
if they break down, and as you see, they take time to implement and
for what added benefit?

cheers
Xavier