METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Richard MacLemale rmaclema at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 16:32:00 EDT 2003

On 7/10/03 11:19 AM, "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <jaed at jaedworks.com> wrote,

> At 7:23 AM -0700 7/9/03, Richard MacLemale wrote:
>>>  Existing customers will get a free upgrade to Revolution with
>>>  their next subscription renewal.
>>
>> Which is essentially a paid cross-grade.  It means that the next time I get
>> ready to fork over 300 bucks to MetaCard I give it to Rev instead and then I
>> get Rev.  Which means I'm paying 300 for Rev.
>

> Not exactly. You pay $300 for your normal upgrade, and get a Revolution
> cross-grade  for free along with it.
>
> So the outcome is that if you want to switch at the time of your next
> renewal, you can do so for free, but you retain the option of staying with
> MC.

OK, let me be MORE specific.  I currently have a legal license to run
MetaCard 2.5.  That means that I can program in MetaCard 2.5 from now until
eternity without dishing out any more cash.

I ALSO have the option of paying $300 to MetaCard for another year of
upgrades.  Since MetaCard 2.5 does everything I need it to, I probably would
not do this.

What I was saying was this - If Revolution transferred my MetaCard 2.5
license, right now, to Revolution 2.0.1, for free, I would switch from
MetaCard development to Revolution development immediately and not look
back.  Revolution is the future.

Right now, I have three choices:

1.  Continue to run MetaCard 2.5 for the forseeable future, for free.

2.  Purchase Revolution for Teachers for $99, but not do anything
commercially.

3.  Purchase Revolution for Small Business for $299, and get everything but
the hardcore database stuff.

4.  Renew my MetaCard license for $300 but trade it for a pro license of
Revolution.  Which would get me the hardcore database stuff plus direct
e-mail support (for I assume one year.)

Obviously, for me, 3 doesn't make any sense, because the cross-grade option
of number 4 is better.  And since I would maybe want to make commercial
software, I've decided that 2 is out.

That leaves choice 1 or 4.  I can either continue to develop in MC for free,
or pay $300 and end up with Revolution.  Since Revolution doesn't give me
anything I really need beyond what MC can do right now, I'm not going to
spend 300 bucks to get it.  It's not worth it to me.

Now, like I said... If I were to be able to trade my 2.5 license right now
for a Rev 2.0.1 license, in an even trade, I would do it and Revolution
would have one more user.  Revolution wouldn't make any money off of me
right now, but they're not going to anyway because I'm not going to spend
$300.

Don't get me wrong.  I TOTALLY understand why Rev is doing it this way and
if I were them I'd maybe do the same thing.  I do not blame them at all,
because this is business.  I will follow Revolution's progress, and if it
ever gets to the point where it's worth $300 more than MC 2.5 to me, I'll
consider purchasing it.

--
:)
Richard MacLemale