Smaller than milliseconds?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jul 10 15:06:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 11:38 AM, Ken Ray wrote:

>> What wimpy OS are you using?  ;-)
>
> You're right! It's OS-dependent. The "wimpy" OS was Windows XP; I
> checked it on my Mac (same config as yours) and I get the extra
> microseconds. Cool!

It might not be XP's fault.  I have used NT and Win2K system calls that
had nanosecond resolution.  This does not mean the OS or the hardware
can handle that, but it does hint at greater time resolution (smaller
than ms).

The same engine is used for all supported Windows platforms, whether
95/98/NT/2000/Me/XP, whether home, pro or server.  I imagine parts of
the engine might use the reduced common capability and parts might make
runtime decisions based on the OS.  Perhaps the long seconds is in the
first part.

I, personally, wouldn't mind if the Windows engine split into two if
the 2K and XP Pro got some improvement or features.

BTW, the microseconds in OS X (and, it seems from Ray's comments, Mac
OS 9.2) are handy for timing operations when using a repeat loop is
awkward or otherwise inappropriate.

Dar Scott