Getting the system profile

Shari gypsyware at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 14:05:00 EDT 2003

>Could you look for a volume name and, if not found, prompt the user to load
>the CD?
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi

Nope.

The volumes on Windows only give the drive letters, A, B, C, etc. and
do not even tell you which drive is being used for the CD.  Also, a
user prompt is a big no no for this, must be done behind the scenes.
Also, if no CD is loaded, it spits up an error dialog, another no no.

No problemo on Mac.  Mac gives the names of the volumes.  So all is
cool on Mac.  But Windows is a bugger for this.  I thought I had it
solved until I tested it on Windows last night, and discovered that
my wondrous solution is not cross platform :-(

If I could get my hands on the system info that the program
winmsd.exe compiles, the way I can get Apple System Profiler info, I
could parse what I need.

Shari C
--
--Shareware Games for the Mac--