Getting the system profile

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 10 13:24:10 EDT 2003

(cc'd: to the "improve" list to serve as a feature request)

Shari wrote:

>> What information are you after?  A lot of system info is available directly
>> in MetaTalk....
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>
> Nothing that gives me anything I can work with.
>
> There are a lot of things I'd like access to, but urgently, the drive
> letter of the CD ROM and whether media is loaded and either the name
> of the media or files on the media.  This is URGENT.  Urgent as in I
> will have to scrap the project today if I don't find a solution, and
> put out something that is not satisfactory to what it needs to
> accomplish.
>
> There are several other pieces of info I need for projects I am
> working on.  For Mac, I could probably use an XCMD, presumably
> Rinaldi's work in MC.  But this doesn't do much as my programs are
> cross platform.  The objective is NOT to use some 3rd party utility
> that may not be installed on the host computer, but system programs
> that would be.
>
> Ideally I would like access to the serial number of a disk, such as a
> CD, I know that floppies have built in serial numbers.  But I'm not
> holding out hope for this.  At the very least, I need to query that a
> specific CD is loaded, and access files on that CD.

I see.  Yep, it would be great to have something like "the detailed drives"
to give us that sort of information.

As a workaround in the meantime, have you considered walking through the
drive list looking for a specific file?  That would at least let you know
whether a specific CD is mounted.