METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Dan Shafer dan at eclecticity.com
Thu Jul 10 11:44:01 EDT 2003

Shari wrote:
> I envy those of you who are 35 and under, who at least had computer access as a teenager. I am 40+++++.

>And my primary goal is Gypsy King Software. It isn't a hobby. It is my company. My heart and soul :-) So beware what criteria you use to define a * serious programmer *.

I'm approaching 60, Shari. When I was in school, IBM didn't exist.

I appreciate the irony in your reply. I stand by my original observation. If you're creating a company that is your future around software, you really cannot afford NOT to have at least a couple of languages in your toolkit. That doesn't mean you have to stop everything for a year or two while you master another language/tool, but I think it *does* mean you have to start working into your jammed schedule some time to begin that process. Take it from someone who's started a half-dozen software companies over the years: standardizing on one tool,  unless that tool is something like C++ or Java or even Smalltalk with a lot of company and industry momentum, is a recipe for serious heartache.