METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!! (OT)

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Jul 9 18:31:02 EDT 2003

Hi Shari,

> Kinda reminds me of Apple/Windows.  Apple had the better product, but
> Billy was the marketing genius, and so snatched up the majority of
> marketshare.

As someone who tried awfully hard to get Macs into Fortune 500 companies (I
carried a Mac Plus into TI and Compaq each day), it wasn't that M$ was a
better marketing firm, but rather no one wanted to deal with a
single-sourced computer product. The same issues today keep Mac from
garnering marketshare.

As I was growing a company in the mid 90's, based completely on Apple
products, we got bit by the single source issue and I found out the hard
way-- Apple couldn't deliver new Powerbooks for close to a year. I switched
the whole company to Windows....had to, a Board decision. Been there ever
since. Not because I like M$ (far from it), but because it makes more sense
for me to have as many options as possible when building a business based on
technology (not to mention it is the industry standard at this time).

Small companies and individual entrepreneurs seem to enjoy the benefits of
using Apple products, because 1) they can afford ($$$) it; 2) they don't
*want* to switch and; 3) typically don't mind Apple defining the technology
'roadmap' for their company.

I tend to think of Macs as a BMW or Lexus type product. Smooth ride,
luxurious yet not 'for everyone.' I think Steve Jobs thinks of his product
this way also. Just as BMW doesn't have a model for certain demographics,
Apple doesn't seriously target Enterprise users.

Undoubtably, ones options are narrowed once you choose the Mac platform. 3
to 4 laptop designs versus 50 to 100, one server. Now, granted, the designs
are wonderful, but not varied enough. For instance, I have a svelte Centrino
powered laptop with over 4 hours of battery life and a 1400x1050 display.
Apple doesn't offer a product which competes in this form factor - though
IBM and Dell do.

I like OSX and the new faster processors. I certainly like Apple more than
M$, but until they get serious about Enterprise and expanding to 3rd party
hardware, I feel they are destined to stay a 'niche' market.

--Chipp