METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Yates, Glen JAMES.G.YATES at saic.com
Wed Jul 9 10:56:00 EDT 2003

Well, there is no 'Rev' engine, it uses the MC engine just like MC does.

> I don't have a lot of faith in Open Source carrying a product into
> the future as something you can rely on for years to come.  I'm not
> aware of an open source program that has been around for at least 10
> years, is stable, and of this magnitude.  Since nobody makes money
> from open source, there is nothing to keep it alive but heart, and
> that usually fades with time.

FreeBSD - Been around for 10 years - much greater magnitude than MC - highly
stable

Apache - 8 years - most widely used webserver on the planet

> Sometimes new blood in a company is a positive thing.  Sometimes not.
> I still bitch every time I use OSX, as it is so Windows-like.   I
> miss being able to double click the title bar to collapse a window
> (yes I know you can get programs to do this, but before, we didn't
> have to).  I despise having to go thru "Are you sure you want to..."
> dialogs every time I click a button.  I miss being able to color
> folders, so that certain ones stand out and remind me of something.

Well, OSX is kind of give and take in the feature department, you can't
color folders, but you can color or use a picture for window backgrounds,
which you couldn't in OS9; and your beloved folder coloring is coming back
later this year.

> I can only hope this change will be a GOOD thing.  It wouldn't have
> mattered to me if Scott added a lot of features, as long as the
> engine was kept up to date with the computer platforms, and of course
> if a major change occurred in the computer world, that it would be
> integrated.  (Such as when computers added color, and Hypercard
> tacked it on but never truly integrated it as they should have.)

I think it will be positive, as I believe it will allow Scott to concentrate
better on core engine development, and not have to worry about marketing and
day-to-day management responsibilities of a small company.

Please note that I have used MC since before there was a Rev, and when Rev
came out was initially impressed by its professional looking GUI, but was
put off by its inability to run for more than 5 minutes without crashing,
and so continued to use MC for my next project. Surely this has been fixed
by now, else Scott would not be doing this.

-Glen