METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Dan Shafer dan at eclecticity.com
Wed Jul 9 10:44:00 EDT 2003

I have a different perspective from most people on this list and probably don't have a right to a strong opinion on MC vs. RR but I figured I'd chime in anyway. Irrepressible, you know.

I looked closely at both MC and RR when I decided to join the Revolution when it was still in 1.1.1 release. Yeah, there were some bugs. But when I looked at the applications I was able to build in the two environments, what struck me was that getting to an app that looked and felt polished and professional and had the appropriate platform look-and-feel on all the platforms I cared about was much more feasible in RR than in MC. The lean UI in MC put me off. It felt like a *nix application builder to which cross-platform capabilities had been added (which I gather is precisely what it was).

I have built several apps in RR2 and encountered, for all practical purposes, no bugs. I've found glitches in the IDE UI and every once in a while something doesn't seem to work quite the way the docs say it does, but no show-stoppers. And the joy of seeing a really professional-looking application emerge from my beloved OS X machine and run straight-up on Windows is hard to describe.

Separating engine development and UI design/development into two companies was a recipe for problems. Across the chasm, all kinds of things can happen. I for one welcome the merger; I suspect we will now see more rapid and consistent development of both the engine and the IDE UI together. And I've seldom seen a company that listens better to its users than RR.

On with the Revolution!