METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed Jul 9 05:04:03 EDT 2003

My 2 cents...

The purchase is a great idea. In all honesty (and with all the respect due
to Scott and his great efforts),
MC needed this badly! I've suggested many times to Scott to include some
of my improved APIs, make MC more
professional looking.

First impression of MC is that it is not appealing and the lack of
marketing doesn't help unless you read the whole site (which
is not the most navigable thing i've seen), and testing MC is not easy for
starters. I dont see a java or C programmer jumping
bandwagon if they have tried Delphi or Metrowerks "professional GUIs"...
The development budgets is surely not the same,
but RR is on the right track!!!

RR has definitely made lots of whistles and bells that make MC modern and
I applaud that! I will welcome RR
as soon as I can (budget allocation depending naturally, and stability
testing too). Last I saw RR it was version 1.0
and it was a great first impression but the amount of bugs then just
couldn't make it operable on our production servers.
MC in this respect was not easy to start with but once the few bugs were
tamed, it runs forever without a hitch.
 I hope RR is as good.

I downloaded the 2.0 version. Installed it (bug dialog already in the
installer!!!) but it finished installing ok.
I have lots of home scripts which I can't port to the home stack - not a
good start - home is where the heart of my 50 monitoring applications
is!!!
The GUI is not as nice as I first tought. The help window is very nice but
also irritating when it changes size each time...
Screen real-estate is now even more limited...
OK, I wont start with my new bug list but Im not sure Im happy...

I also enjoyed making MC's every internal stack and properties 10X better
which now
is going to be useless.
The RR script editor has the same bugs as MC's so I dont see an advantage
at first hand...

I've heard that RR was also a bloated application - slower than MC. I dont
see this at all using it.
Can anyone give us a difference list?
But there is a lot (if not too many) options left and right... Im sure
lots of thinking went into the design
but the screen real-estate is far worse than MC - I guess this takes some
getting used to.

BTW, you can't search the help tutorials!!! In the Encyclopedia the pop-up
menus dont work... ;((

my bug/petpeeve list is already at 16 items in just one hour... Not
good...

Xavier Bury
TNS NT LAN Server

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER