METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Mark Talluto lists at canelasoftware.com
Wed Jul 9 01:18:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 06:50 PM, Shari wrote:

> Monte,
>
> I haven't even transferred all of my apps to the OLD ide!  I've
> transfered two from HC to MC.  And it took so long, I will not do the
> others.  I'm still working the kinks out of the two.  Do that again?
> No.  The goal is to get something moved and stable, so that you can
> send it out into the world, and then start adding features to it and
> release upgrades.  Not to keep moving and stabilizing from here to
> there to wherever.
>
> I'm at a point where my two primary programs can start being upgraded,
> rather than tech supported.  And focus is on the NEW program, and the
> planned updates to the two primary programs.  It would be a major
> setback to pour more resources into the programs I just got done
> pouring the last year into, because the compiler changed.
>
> I have a very specific roadmap to follow.  To veer off of it again,
> would be disastrous.  Stability is key.  Bugs are not affordable. One
> bug costs 30 days of productivity.  To fix, and test, and then have
> others test, and then release, and then remarket.  There is no such
> thing as a small change.  All programmers know this.  It is the
> fundamental rule of programming.  No matter how small you believe the
> change is, it will likely impact something else, and the chance exists
> that something will break.
>
> Switch to a new IDE and lose another year?  No.  I may end up stuck at
> MC 2.4.3 as I stayed stuck at HC 2.4.1.  I need to move forward, not
>
> I did not intend to upgrade to another paid-for version of MC until I
> got the next program out the door and producing income, which will
> likely be next summer.  Changing means money goes out.  My money is
> already spent for the next year, on moving from Mac Classic to Mac
> OSX, having to replace all the apps so that I do not need Classic.
> Metacard was an expenditure already completed.
>
> I wish I saw good things here.  I wish I could believe.  If I embrace
> Rev, I see losing a year's productivity, just when I finally got where
> I really want to be.  And then having additional tech support for the
> next god knows how long.  I've finally figured out most of the kinks
> in MC, and it does have kinks that needed to be worked around.   I've
> finally worked around 99% of the anomalies, and my tech support issues
> are almost null, which is where they need to be. Worms are best left
> in the can.
>
> Shari C

Shari,

I completely understand your concerns.  What may help is the fact that
both IDEs run off the same engine.  Your code will open right up in the
Rev IDE without change.  When you compile your programs, they will use
version 2.5 (at this point) of Rev.  Since you are not planning on
upgrading your MC license for another year, I bet Rev will have
progressed quite a bit by then.  Plus, if what you have is working for
you and you do not need the new features, you could stay with what you
have for some time.

I too have not switched yet, but I know the time for me will be sooner
than later.  We can all hold hands and jump together.  :)

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com