METACARD ACQUIRED BY RUN REV!!!

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Tue Jul 8 22:57:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 Shari <gypsyware at earthlink.net> wrote:

> What happens to Metacard, impacts those who rely on it for their
> bread and butter.  I love xTalk languages.  And was hoping/expecting
> that Scott/Metacard would be around a long time so that I could use
> it as my foundation.

If this is all you worry about, you can rest easy.  I'll continue to
be a part of the engine development team for the foreseeable future,
and though my control over the direction of the technology and
management will be greatly diminished, I have complete confidence in
the team at Runtime Revolution.  They're just better managers and
marketers than I ever was ;-)

As for the MetaCard development environment, our contract with Runtime
Revolution specifically states that the MC UI is now Open Source and
that although Runtime Revolution will not continue development of it
or provide tech support for it, they also cannot kill it off or even
deliberately change the engine technology to prevent the MC UI from
continuing to work.  So its survival now depends on all of you.
Although I won't be directly involved in the development of the MC UI
or documentation package anymore, I'd be happy to serve as Benevolent
Dictator for awhile until a proper support group is up and running
smoothly.  The first order of business will be to set up a mailing
list so that we can start discussions of how that group should be
organized and later, what changes to the UI everyone wants (and are
willing to contribute to!).  That should help keep this list focused
on *using* the UI, with some discussions of the engine technology it
shares with the new "standard" development environment, Revolution.

OK, so who wants to host that mailing list?
  Regards,
    Scott

PS: it's at times like this that I miss Grant Schampel
(gcschamp at visi.com).  He always loved a good brouhaha, and always had
something insightful to say about the back-room dealings that make
them possible...