stupid Linux tricks

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 1 20:58:07 EDT 2003

andu wrote:

>>> --On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 09:59:20 -0700 Richard Gaskin

>>> That depends on the desktop manager but generally via mime types.
>>
>> How do I get a tar file to set MIME types?
>
> Mime info is preset in a file checked by the desktop manager when you do
> something with that file (i.e. click on it). What desktop manager you use?
> I'm not very knowledgeable with kde or gnome settings on this since I use
> rox. I imagine you want to untar a file by clicking on it or popup the
> application to do it for you.

I think I explained poorly.  Unpacking tar files is easy.  The hard thing is
making an installer for my app that will configure the mime type without
requiring the user to do it manually.

I've spent an embarassing amount of time hunting down things like "linux
file associations" on Google, to no avail.

So on Mac OS X we have the plist in the bundle, on Win the registry -- what
is the equivalent mechanism on Linux, and how can I use shell or other
MetaTalk to configure it?

Better still, is there a decent installer-maker that will handle this
gracefully for all distros/desktops?