That find command

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Wed Jan 29 14:44:01 EST 2003

All,
   I'm baffled.  I know other commands, such as offset, are faster and
more useful, but I was trying to use the metacard (2.4.3, Mac OS X
10.2.3) find command  and discovered that for some reason it doesn't
work, or at least I can't get it to work.  I finally stripped it down
to a simple stack with two fields, "test" and "out", with test
containing 3 lines consisting of, respectively, "aaaa", "bbbb", and
"cccc".  Executing the following simple stack script from the message
box (using any of the variations, including "string") fails to work
(i.e., nothing but the return is placed in the field "out").

on testit
   find  "bbbb" in fld "test"
   put the foundline into fld "out"
   find string "aaaa" in fld "test"
   put return & the foundline into fld "out"
end testit

Worse yet, I started this failed exploration, after a colleague
reported to me that successive finds in a script would only search
*forward*.  For example, although find "aaaa", followed by find "bbbb",
would (in his stack on his computer) successfully find both, find
"bbbb" followed by find "aaaa" would find only "bbbb".  I said he was
nuts, and began the experiment that resulted, eventually, in the simple
failed test above.  Any ideas?

--
John R. Vokey, Ph.D.                       |\      _,,,---,,_
Professor                                  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_