MC front end to PostgreSQL

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Jan 24 05:37:01 EST 2003

andu wrote:

> --On Thursday, January 23, 2003 18:12:32 -0800 Sadhunathan Nadesan
> <sadhu at castandcrew.com> wrote:
>
> >  create table abook (
> >  name____  text primary key,
> >  company_  text,
> >  street__  text,
> >  city____  text,
> >  state___  text,
> >  zipcode_  text,
> >  telepho1  text,
> >  telepho2  text,
> >  mail____  text,
> >  web_____  text,
> >  recordid  serial not null
> >  );
> >

> I didn't have time to play with Pierre's thing yet but I kept wondering
> what's the benefit of padding each name with ___ to keep a fixed number of
> chars in the column names?
>
> Regards, Andu Novac

Allo Andu,

To let Metacard help us to do what tools alike "Sybase PowerDesigner" or
"Embarcadero ER/Studio" are not able to do, i'm working on a next issue
of the "MC to SQL" solution, witch could become able to build
automatically the back-end database structure by converting, on demand,
the Metacard front-end objects structure (cards, fields, buttons) in
back-end tables and columns, all done, on the fly, in piping metatalk
code to the pg server, of course ;)

Else, if the tables are build in using the prompt or pgAccess, it's no
needs to use 8 chars length objects names.

--
Cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis.
Applications et bases de données WEB et VPN
Qualifier et produire l'avantage compétitif