MC front end to PostgreSQL

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Thu Jan 23 21:17:00 EST 2003

| See the "installabook.txt" for more, including explainations about the
| need of a "primary key" to index the column "name____" and the needed
| add of a new "serial-typed" column to the "abook" pg table, used to add
| to each row an unicity control key...

FYI, Pierre, this is what worked for me.  First I just dropped the
data base (from the shell)

	dropdb abook

Then created a new one

	createdb abook

Then entered the interactive sql with

	psql abook

Then issued the create table command at the sql prompt.  The syntax on
mine, version 7.1.3, is slightly different than shown in the
installbook.txt file.  Here is what I used:

 create table abook (
 name____  text primary key,
 company_  text,
 street__  text,
 city____  text,
 state___  text,
 zipcode_  text,
 telepho1  text,
 telepho2  text,
 mail____  text,
 web_____  text,
 recordid  serial not null
 );

 this worked and gave

 NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence 'abook_recordid_seq'
 for SERIAL column 'abook.recordid'

 NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
 'abook_pkey' for table 'abook'

 NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE/UNIQUE will create implicit index
 'abook_recordid_key' for table 'abook'