Window metrics in Win32

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 22 22:00:00 EST 2003

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> On 1/22/03 8:28 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> My windowing routines work great in Win 95 and 98, but are coming up with
>> odd placement in NT and XP.
>
> I wasn't going to ask, but my curiosity has got the better of me. How
> come you need to place the windows using calculations? Is there some
> reason you can't just set the top of one to the bottom of another, or
> the right of one to the left of another? I'm sure I must be missing
> something here.

On Windows, the border and titlebar metrics are completely up to the user.
Any attempt at making perfectly-aligned windows without using the
appropriate registry settings risks guessing wrong, as the user may not be
using the defaults.

These settings are settable in the Display control panel, accessible by
right-clicking on the desktop and choosing "Properties..." from the context
menu (and also by choosing Start->Settings->Control Panels->Display).