loosing memory

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 15 17:31:01 EST 2003

>While you method should work without the seeming memory leak problem it
>might be interesting to further isolate the problem by trying this:
>
>   put fld "log" into tLogData
>   delete last line of tLogData
>   put txt & return before
>   put tLogData  into fld "log"
>
>Also, is the value of tx appended or overwritten in each iteration?
>
>--
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation
>  Developer of WebMerge 2.1: Publish any database on any site

I am not sure what you mean by your question. The txt is similar but
different each time -- these are log entries containing date, time,
userinfo, activity data. The function writes all these to a disk file
but displays a number of most recent ones in a field. This allows me
to watch the activity of the service in real time.

I will try your suggestion of doing the shuffling in a variable and
always replacing the whole field content. As a matter of fact, this
is how it was implemented initially but later changed to the current
delete/write mode. It was done over a year ago, and I don't recall
anymore why I changed that. (May be simply to reduce the number of
globals.)

I suspect, however, that there is some bizzare memory fragmentation
occuring that makes the program allocate a new memory chunk each time.

Robert