scripting style issue

andu undo at cloud9.net
Tue Jan 14 09:18:01 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, January 14, 2003 01:13:08 -0800 Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> 3. Is this boring?

Painfully so ;-).
I'm pretty sure that all of us at one point or another have agonized on
"the best way" to name variables, functions, handlers, etc. until the
boredom took over.
Here's what I think, unless every one enforces a standard with the idea
that code must be easily readable by others, conceiving one is useless.
A "personal" standard eventually emerges on its own by necessity.
What I found to be useful is naming for example variables storing the same
kind of data with the same name in different scripts. Copy/pasting between
scripts is easier. I always wanted to write variables in uppercase only, so
that they are more visible but never got to, the "tVar" kind of notation
using the least amount of characters possible was always sufficient. Arrays
are usually distinct by having [] at the end most of the time so it was
never an issue for me.
I can't think of many ways to make metatalk easier then it already is.
Structuring the script (from keeping all scripts at one level as opposed to
all over the place, to speed/debugging optimization techniques), that would
be a more entertaining topic (though not much;-).

Regards, Andu Novac