[OT] invisible files on Windows

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jan 10 14:11:01 EST 2003

Recently, "Richard Gaskin"  wrote:

> I can turn a file invisible on Mac OS and OS X, but how do I make a file
> invisible on Windows?  I need to be able to do this for a cross-platform CD.

INVISIBLE FILES?  YOU?  Mr. "I never hide files from the user" Gaskin???

(just kidding :-)

I am not a Windows expert, nor do I play one on TV.  That being said, I
think you will run into a problem with simply making the file invisible due
to the "Do not show hidden files" preference under the Folder Options menu.

I did come across one article that says you can try renaming the *parent
folder* of the file via a DOS prompt: "rename dir alt+255dir". This same
article also claims that Windows already sports a number of difficult to
access directories that cannot be accessed through Windows, only DOS.  The
author recommends going here for more tips:

  http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

Gotta love that URL...

Sorry not much more help.

Regards,