Metacard CGi's

Michael Crawford michael.crawford at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jan 9 17:39:01 EST 2003

Hello everyone.

I have successfully configured my OS x server to run metatalk scripts
as faceless cgi's. Thanks to everyone who has posted to the list
about doing this, especially Richard MacLemale.

Now I want to make cgi that can output images using data I have
supplied. That is some thing like:

User uses a POST command to send some value to the CGI.
CGI talks the user variable and then generates an image file using
the user variable and some internal data.
The image is save to a folder within the web server documents folder
and the URl of this image is returned to the original requester.

Getting a metacard stack to make images is easy (just use the
imagedata property of the image) but does this work when you don't
have a metacard stack but only a metatalk cgi script?

Preliminary testing shows that the cgi will accept "create fld "data"
but "create image "someimage" generates an internal server error.
Does this mean that rather than using the imagedata of an image I
will have to generate the image file my self (as a binary file with
the correct format etc) and save this to a binfile?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how I could get this to work?

Michael