MC front-ends to PostgreSQL and Oracle 7.3 to 9i

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Jan 8 18:25:01 EST 2003

Vikram Singh a écrit :

> Pierre Sahores wrote--------------------
>
> >For the ones using Oracle or PostgreSQL backend databases (unix hosted)
> >and wants to drive them from within mc apps, without to be sure about
> >the way to do it, just adapt the next script example to your needs
> >(replace "psql" with "sqlplus" to link an Oracle server).
>
> >   put "" into DbAuteurs
> >   get shell("echo" && quote & "select distinct auteur__ from citations order
> by
> >auteur__" && quote && "| psql -h localhost citalis")
> >   repeat for each line l in line 3 to -3 of it
> >     put word 1 to -1 of l & return after DbAuteurs
> >   end repeat
>
> I've installed MySql on WinXP and am trying to get MC to talk to it via shell,
> without success. The result of the shell command is :
>
> **'mysql' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.**

Did you try in using the complete path of your mysql client exe ?

> How does one go about registering the string "mysql" in Win XP? Is there any
> other consideration one needs to keep in mind?

Sorry, because i did'nt use any win32-based server along the last tree
years including Win XP, i can't help :-(

> Pierre, what is 'citalis' in the example above : the username? Aren't the
> username and password needed to get it working?

Hi Vikram,

Not under unixes (including linux) if the postgresql server is accessed
by an user witch is the default owner of the target database. Else yes,
you have to declare the authorised postgres owner to access the
database. I suppose that in using MySQL under XP, you have to declare
the authorised mysql owner and password each time you send a query to
the server but, as long as i'm not an XP/MySQL user, it would be better
to verify this in asking in about to an experimented user.

Citalis is just the target database name.

If, to the end, you could'nt use the shell() to bind MySQL to Metacard
under Win XP, it's an other way you could use under Win32 : a .php
batch-file edited on the fly from within metacard and raan from metacard
too, in using the http "GET" method. I used this way, tree years ago
under a  WinNT4-SP5 / Apache / PHP3 / Metacard / MySQL config and it
worked fine and faster than the reference IIS / ASP2 / SQLServer 6.5.
test server. If interested, you will find more explanations on how to
set-up such a config in searching the metacard list archive at
<http://www.mail-archive.com/metacard@lists.runrev.com/>

Hope this helps !

P.S: It seems that PostgreSQL is now available for win32 too, in a port
coming from Japan. See Google for more about this :-)