MC front end to PostgreSQL

andu undo at cloud9.net
Tue Jan 7 20:31:00 EST 2003

--On Tuesday, January 07, 2003 15:01:23 -0800 Sadhunathan Nadesan
<sadhu at castandcrew.com> wrote:

> In other words, something where the front end is running on the client
> (an MC app) and the back end is a data base across the web on the server.
> Something with rich a interactive nature, the kind of application you
> can build native with MC for strictly local use.
>
> Such as, you bring up the stack and it displays all the fields in the
> current record.  You click next, next, next buttons and it is paging
> through .. not cards in your stack, but records in  your data base on
> the back end.  You want to change something, you just change it, press
> the update button, and the back end data base is updating.  Without,
> hopefully, having to hand code a lot of SQL statements to make everything
> work, but if so, so be it.
>
> Anyone have anything like that happening?

I'm working on such a stack right now for a client. It "posts" queries to a
http server + mc cgi which in turn passes them to the database using
shell(), then replies the results back to the client. I can't make it
publicly available though, just a confirmation that it can be done without
much hustle and it works nicely. SQL must be used in communicating to the
database, no way around it but that's the easy part.