MC front end to PostgreSQL

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Tue Jan 7 18:06:00 EST 2003

| Just as you say, Alain and we, all, are going to open "l'avenue des
| Champs-Elysees" to the web-dedicated metacard developments.
| "Because they did'nt know it was impossible,..." ;-)
|
| > > Do you mean you will distribute MC
| > > stacks and the user won't go through a browser?
| >
| > You certainly can.
| >
| > Let's conquer the Web with MetaCard,
| >
| > Alain Farmer

Hi Guys,

Again, pardon my late entry here, but I'm hoping to keep this topic
alive.  I had asked Pierre before about a working application to look at.
It appeared that what he showed me (if I correctly understood) was all
server based, with HTML, and MC as a background CGI language.  Meaning,
he had a cool site where you could look up authors and books and stuff
(sorry, my French isn't really very good, so pardon the guesswork) which
had browswer, maybe PHP forms - calling CGI scripts written in MC which
in turn invoked shell commands to do SQL stuff with Postgres.

Very nice.  I was hoping to see something a bit different.  A sort of
real data base application.  Across the net.

In other words, something where the front end is running on the client
(an MC app) and the back end is a data base across the web on the server.
Something with rich a interactive nature, the kind of application you
can build native with MC for strictly local use.

Such as, you bring up the stack and it displays all the fields in the
current record.  You click next, next, next buttons and it is paging
through .. not cards in your stack, but records in  your data base on
the back end.  You want to change something, you just change it, press
the update button, and the back end data base is updating.  Without,
hopefully, having to hand code a lot of SQL statements to make everything
work, but if so, so be it.

Anyone have anything like that happening?

Mahalo
Sadhu