Database Encryption

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 7 03:47:01 EST 2003

on 1/7/03 2:19 AM, Scott Raney at raney at metacard.com wrote:

> Because only MetaCard allows access to, e.g., the file /etc/password
> so that you can determine what users are configured on the current
> system.  You have to go and buy an external package to do this with
> these other products, which IMHO is an inferior architecture.  There
> are many other similar system files that people need access to.  Same
> situation exists with the shell() function, which you would have to
> translate everything with if the engine used those old-style paths.

>>> It can't do that and then use UNIX paths for everything else...
>>
>> Why MC Carbon can't return native MacOS paths ???
>
> It does: what you're confused about is what "native" means.  Those old
> things that start with a drive name and are delimited with colons are
> obsolete MacOS 7/8/9 format paths.  The way of the future is UNIX paths.

Me confuse ?

Okay, assume a developer develop with help of MC 2.4.2 CARBON his own Carbon
app, which must work on MacOS 9 and X. This is standard expectation from
Carbon app.

Such Carbon app, must not work etc directory, because it NOT exists on
classic. Otherwise you simply mix apples with bananas.

--
Best regards,
e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com
web: http://www.paradigmasoft.com