Export text from tabbed field

Signe Marie Sanne signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Mon Jan 6 05:53:00 EST 2003

>Signe
>
>You will have to translate the fld's text before export, inserting the
>correct number spaces ( based on length of the text in ea. column & the
>tab stops of the fld.) To display correctly, such that text aligns
>according to tabs, the text will need to be set to a mono font such as
>Monaco on Mac or Courier New on PC.

Thanks to Eric, Robert, Andu, Phil and Richard for your replies. Your
replies all seem to confirm that the columns originating from the tab
stops will not be maintained when read to a file without much
customizing and extra scripting. So without putting too much energy
into it, I have found a solution, which is not 100% satisfactory, but
it will do for me. The output file will be read by various teachers
on various platforms, so there is no way to change their Word
settings and I would not want to ask them to change font to a
monofont either.

My data in the scrolling field can be exemplified as:
Date		Code		Student name		Score

Jan 02 11:30	3A1.1		Anne Lund Pedersen	37 %
Jan 02 09:30	11D1.12		Randi Holt		8 %
Jan 02 10:37	3A1.1		Arve Pedersen		17 %
Jan 02 11:31	11D1.12		Anne Holt-Rasmussen	98 %

Particularly 'Student name' will vary in length whereas 'Date' is
fixed since it is read from a server. 'Code' will vary from 5 to 7
characters, so I add 2 extra spaces at the end of each code.
Originally I used both1 and 2 digits for 'Score' (1,2....99), but at
least I can add 0 in front of 1 to 9. Then as a last change in my
data I place 'Score' in front of 'Student name'.

Thanks again for all suggestions.

1. amanuensis Signe Marie Sanne      e-mail: signe.sanne at roman.uib.no
Romansk Institutt                            tel:  +47 55 58 21 27
Oysteins gt. 1
5007 Bergen        	 http://www.hf.uib.no/hfolk/mlab/hjem/default.html
Norway