Database Encryption

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jan 5 17:54:49 EST 2003

>Okay, I see that this will be never changed in MetaCard.
>So this is private headache of MetaCard developers.

The point is that MC users do not think of them as Unix filepaths and
it is not a headache the way you perceive it. Within MC, one simply
does not worry about platform-specific paths the way one has to when
working with RealBasic or Director. Having to pass a
platform-specific path to Valentina is not a biggy as explained in
the other email.

>But agree, that if add great IDE to great language you will be more happy?
>:-)

Well, yes, but what constitutes a great IDE is in eye of beholder.
There are people who still claim that using GUI is crap and true
computer users should stick with command-line interfaces...

I think that your problem is primarily caused by being too used to
more traditional IDEs and not familiar with xCards enough (in sense
of not using them enough).

>May be Revolution solve this problem ?
>Just no time to look on it deeply...

In case of MetaCard, one has a few options for IDE: a) MC's native
GUI, spartan and down to the point; b) Revolution, richer and more
dialog/palette-driven; and c) FreeGUI, a HyperCard lookalike (sort
of). You don't like any of them? You can create your own.

Robert